Dr. James T. Read, D.V.M.
Dr. James Read, DVM, is a University of Illinois Veterinary School graduate. He opened the doors of Ark of the Dunes Animal Hospital in 2001 as a single doctor practice. Since this time he has built the hospital to provide quality medicine to the Chesterton area. His veterinary interests are in surgery and feline medicine. Outside of veterinary medicine he enjoys fine dining, relaxing at home, and spending time with his family.
B.S., Biology - Purdue University
B.S., Veterinary Medicine - University of Illinois
D.V.M., University of Illinois Veterinary School
Dr. Julie Hyslop, D.V.M.
Dr. Julie Hyslop, DVM is a 2010 graduate of Purdue University's School of Veterinary Medicine. Before veterinary school she also obtained her M.S. in animal sciences reproductive physiology in 2006 from Purdue University. She attended Hanover College for her undergraduate studies. Her veterinary interests lie in medicine, reproduction, and canine and feline wellness. She enjoys her relationships made in the clinic with both her patients and her clients. Outside of veterinary medicine she loves camping, hiking, boating, breeding Labradors, and spending time with her son, husband, and two labs.
Undergraduate studies, Hanover College
M.S., Purdue University, 2006
D.V.M., Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, 2010
Christina Anderson - Office Manager
Christina joined Ark of the Dunes in 2007. She has worked as a kennel assistant, receptionist, and vet tech throughout the years and now handles the behind the scenes tasks. On her time off she enjoys spending time with her husband, family, two dogs and two cats.
Assistant Hospital Manager
Main tasks include:
- Office Management
- A/R Clerk
- Inventory Manager
- Kennel Manager
- Social Media Manager
Our Veterinary Technicians
- Brittney graduated from the Vet Tech Institute of Fort Wayne in 2010. She has been a part of the Ark family since August 2008. She techs along side of Dr. Read. She is the happy mom of a dog named Wrigley. She enjoys competitive bowling, spending time with her family, husband, and Wrigley.
- Samantha originally became a part of the Ark family as a kennel staff member from 2007 to 2010 and then returned to us in 2013 as a Vet tech. She is the proud mother of one. She enjoys spending time with her family and pets on her time off.
Pictured left to right: Samantha, Dana, Brittney, Maddie, Andrew.
- Laurie is the Front Office Manager and lead receptionist. She has been a part of Ark of the Dunes family since day one. She is a well-known client favorite! She is the proud mom of a very handsome but mischievous Tibetan Terrier, named Teddy.
- Karie joined our team in 2015. She is the proud mother of two and enjoys spending time with her family on her time off.
- Dana has been with us since 2010. She is currently working on her Bachelor's Degree in Science with a focus in Pre-Veterinary Science at Purdue North Central. She is the proud mom of two boys. You will also find her alongside the doctor as a technician when she is not helping you in the front office.
Our receptionists are the face of our family. They work hard to ensure that you enjoy your visit from the moment you walk in the door to when you leave.
Our Kennel Staff
Our kennel staff is responsible for taking care of our boarding and hospitalized pets. They treat each animal as if they were their own.
From left to right - Liz, Sam, Becky, Sandy, Willow and Rita
A LITTLE TID BIT
Our kennel staff is trained to properly care for your animals while they stay with us. They are able to administer medications, feed special diets, bathe and give nail trims.
Interested in joining the Ark of the Dunes Team?
We are always accepting applications for licensed veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, receptionists, and kennel attendants.
If you are interested, please fill out this application and stop by today.
Ark of the Dunes Animal Hospital
135 E. 1100 N.
Chesterton, IN 46304
P: (219) 926-9797
F: (219) 926-8484